Monday, March 1, 2010

Dishwasher Soap

Yesterday, I was thinking "Man, I need to buy dishwasher soap already?" So I thought there has to be a website with a recipe for making your own. Well there is... http://tipnut.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent-recipes/

I used to buy the three in one blocks that gets 16 loads of dishes done per bag for around 5 dollars. Today, I bought a box of baking soda for $.57 and a box of borax for $3.72 for 4 lbs and 12 oz.

I use Powder recipe #2
1 1/2 cups Baking Soda
1 1/2 cups Borax
For the above recipe:
Mix thoroughly and store in a plastic container, use approximately 2 TBS per load.
Use vinegar in the rinse compartment as a rinse agent to help prevent residue
Try adding 2-3 drops essential oil

I can now wash 24 loads of dishes for about a dollar. I have already washed dishes and can not tell a difference in the store bought or homemade.

I did read that if your dishes are still a little cloudy you can add a drop of dish soap with each load.

1 comment:

  1. That's just AWESOME! I'm going to do that when we run out of detergent.

    I have a recipe for Laundry Soap! I'll post it on my blog. www.poseyhome.com

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete