Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homemade Pizza Dough

If you have about an hour and half to make dinner that is all the time you need. I spend about 20 minutes making the dough, letting it rise for about an hour, then about another 30-40 minutes rolling and cooking the pizza. My family loves this pizza. I still buy frozen pizza but that is usually when we are coming back from a long trip and we need to eat quick but I don't feel like it or have the time to make it.

Ingredients
1 1/4 c warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1 envelop (.25 oz) active yeast
1 t sugar
1 T Olive Oil
1 t salt ( use galic salt)
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour (I use 2 cups bread flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
2 t cornmeal (I dont measure this)
1 c pizza sauce (I dont use this much)
Whatever Toppings you would like to use.

Step One
Place 1/4 c warm water in a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water; stir in sugar. Let stand 5 minutes ( I walk away and do something else). Add remaining water, oil, and salt. Stir in flour until dough pull away from side of bowl.

Step Two
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, 8-10 minutes. Coat large bowl with cooking spray; place dough in bowl, turning to grease to. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until almost double size, about 45 minutes.

Step Three
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Punch down dough. Coat 2 12 in pizza pans (I only have one so I make the second when the first is done) in cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide dough into half. Roll dough to fit prepared pans; press dough against edge to form rim. Bake crust for 10 minutes (I do not do this; I tried this and did not like the end result)

Step Four
Remove crust from oven and top with pizza sauce. Add the toppings and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. 15-20 minutes longer. (I just completely prepare the pizza then cook it on a stone for 15 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment