Sunday, March 14, 2010

Natural Face Scrub

I just found this. I will do it in the morning.

How to Make Your Own Natural Face Scrub
I love the fresh feeling of the cold morning air on my face each day. Since I can’t ride my bike to school (the roads are too icy and bike lanes are now snowbank lanes), I started walking to school. It’s the most beautiful way to start my day.

Unfortunately, my skin doesn’t think so.

The constant, drastic changes in temperature and humidity have me finally understanding the disaster that is dry skin in the winter. That’s why I love a homemade scrub. It’s the perfect exfoliation, and because you can make it yourself, it’s cheap and fun to mix up in different combinations.



The following recipe is adapted from one of my favorite books, The Green Beauty Guide, which has all sorts of recipes and tips on hair products, makeup, and – best of all this time of year – moisturizers. I love this recipe because it has three of the simplest ingredients that we all have in our kitchens!

The author, Julie Gabriel, also adds a little rose oil if you have it around.

This recipe doesn’t have a shelf life, so you have to mix up a little batch each time you want to use it. At first, it seems counterintuitive to massage oil onto your face. Conventional skin care has led us to believe that all oil = bad. Of course, we are learning that some oils (like the natural bacteria-fighting oils on our faces) are actually good for us. Olive oil happens to be the really good one in this recipe… it just feels a bit different. I’ve been using this recipe for just under a year, and the idea of olive oil still feels weird. But it hardly keeps me from turning to this recipe over and over.

I love handmade, especially when it only costs pennies. Don’t you? Julie writes, “There is a commercial product just out on the market that has sugar and olive oil as the only ingredients. The cosmetics company is charging $32 for a 10-ounce jar.”

Wow. Just like that, you already know 2/3 of the recipe. You liking the sound of it? Here’s the rest:

* * * * * * * * * * *

Homemade Sugar Scrub

1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil

1 drop vanilla extract

1. Whisk the ingredients together.

2. Massage on your face and neck directly over the sink, as some of the product will fall as you massage.

3. Rinse with warm water and a wash cloth (to remove the oil) or step into the shower. You can continue with your traditional face wash and toner if desired. Then moisturize.

Found at http://www.makingthishome.com/2010/01/29/how-to-make-your-own-natural-face-scrub/

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! Have been making it for a few months now. I use a few drops of essential oils instead of vanilla. I keep a little tupperware container of it in the shower

    ReplyDelete